Monday, June 20, 2011

HERSTORY – Paying respect, shining a light, encouraging growth amongst chefs of African descent

The first African American FEMALE chef, as women chef and more so a black female chef, I owe her. For one I didn't even know she existed. How it all started was I had to write a paper for a class at school and my topic started off with “Women chefs” as I was doing my research I came to find out that while there are just a few women chefs that are recognized, I found NONE of african descent, and only one male was of African descent the amazing Chef Marcus Samulason. I searched through all pictures from the James Beard Awards, and still I found nothing. This both angered and motivated me, how on earth is this possible. But sure enough I found none. This bothered me to no end, and that’s why I will highlight not only women but more specifically the African American chef both male and female.. I hope you enjoy.

Its only fitting that my first entry is about Chef Edna Lewis
A tall, commanding woman, Edna Lewis was also a giant in the culinary world as well as in life. The granddaughter of freed slaves, Edna would grow up to be a great chef, culinary ambassador, and caretaker of genuine Southern cooking. She would inspire a generation of young chefs and ensure that the traditional folkways of the South would not be forgotten. More than a skilled cook, Edna Lewis touched the lives of those around her with grace and the beauty of life. She will be deeply missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment